Our Mission & Goals
Ocean Exploration Trust Mission
The Ocean Exploration Trust was founded in 2008 by Dr. Robert Ballard to engage in pure ocean exploration. Our international programs center on scientific exploration of the seafloor and many of our expeditions are launched from aboard Exploration Vessel (E/V) Nautilus, a 64-meter research vessel operated by the Ocean Exploration Trust. In addition to conducting scientific research, we offer our expeditions to explorers on shore via live video, audio, and data feeds from the field. We also bring educators and students of all ages aboard during E/V Nautilus expeditions, offering them hands-on experience in ocean exploration, research, and communications.
Ocean Exploration Trust Goals
● To explore areas of the ocean that have never been explored before, seeking out new discoveries
in the fields of geology, biology, maritime history, archaeology, and chemistry
● To conduct all scientific research to the highest international academic standard
● To push the boundaries of ocean engineering, technology, education, and communications
● To share our expeditions with explorers around the world via live telepresence
● To serve as role models for the next generation of scientists, engineers, and educators
● To spread the excitement of ocean exploration and turn everyday viewers into explorers
Support our Mission & Goals
If you are interested in supporting our mission and goals, find out how you can Become a Sponsor of our STEM role model initiative.